California Online Drivers Ed


No Fees or Useless Add-ons
  • 30 Hours of Instruction
  • Complete On Any Device
  • Automatically Tracked Progress on all Devices
Driver's Ed and Driver Training in California

If you are under 18 in California, you are required to complete classroom driver's ed and behind-the-wheel training at a licensed driver training school before you can get your instruction permit. National Driver Training's California Teen Online Driver's Ed program is approved for the classroom driver's ed portion. This training gives you the foundational skills, experience, and confidence you need to pass your driving exam and become a safe driver. Learn more about the requirements for first-time drivers in CA's Teen Drivers Guide.


Driver Education (DE) teaches teens about traffic laws, road safety, driver responsibilities, and accident avoidance. NDT's California Online Teen Driver's Ed program offers 30 hours of classroom instruction (no including breaks or meal times) through internet training approved by the state of California.


Driver Training (DT) gives you the opportunity to practice driving in real-world situations. DT must consists of at least six hours of behind-the-wheel training with a professional driving instructor. DT cannot exceed 2 hours per day. If you are in the car observing another driver, that time does not count toward your six-hour requirement.


Applying for a California Instruction Permit (Under 18)

A minor (under 18 years old) must have their application signed by their parent or legal guardian. If parents or guardians have joint custody, the application needs to be signed by both. To apply for a provisional instruction permit (at least 15 1/2, but under 18):


  • Complete a California Driver's License or Identification (DL/ID) Card Application. Parent/Guardian must sign the application. This is an acceptance of financial responsibility for that minor. Proof of financial responsibility must be carried at all times in the vehicle.
  • Full Legal name provided.
  • Social Security Number required on the application (verified with the Social Security Administration while present).


If you do not have a California ID already established with DMV:


  • Bring your original/certified copy of your birth certificate or valid passport.If not a US-born citizen, you must provide proof that you are a legal US resident with an acceptable identify document.
  • Present an acceptable residency document.


If you are 15 1/2 - 17 1/2, you will need to provide proof that you completed National Driver Training's California Online Teen Driver's Ed program. If your DE/DT was completed in a state other than California, the DMV will accept a letter from your out-of-state secondary school on the school's official stationary. The letter must be signed by a school official stating that the completed courses you have taken are equivalent to a California secondary school course as describe in Section 10020 of Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations and on form "To Secondary Schools Other Than California Schools" (DL 33).


An out-of-state driving instruction permit is not acceptable proof of DE/DT.


  • Provide a thumbprint.
  • Pass a vision exam.
  • Pay an appplication fee.
  • Provide a thumbprint again, and provide your signature (what will be on the license) and have your picture taken at the camera station.
  • Take the knowledge exam. You must get at least 38 questions right out of 46. You have 3 chances to take the exam. If you fail an exam you must wait 7 days before taking the exam again. If you fail the exam all 3 times, you must start over by filling out a new application and paying the appropriate fees.


The California driver's license and id card application and fee is good for 12 months after you apply. If the application will expire before you have held your provisional instruction permit for the required 6 months to take your driving exam, you will need to reapply at the department of revenue. Cumulative credit will be given for the time you held your provisional instruction permit that counts towards your 6-month requirement. Make sure to bring your expired and valid provisional instruction permits when you take your driving exam to show proof of credit.